Omaha Permanent Diaconate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liturgy of the Hours using the Mundelein Psalter

2 posters

Go down

Liturgy of the Hours using the Mundelein Psalter Empty Liturgy of the Hours using the Mundelein Psalter

Post by rjizba Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:59 pm

I have been using the Mundelein Psalter to chant morning and evening prayer since last May. I have been using it privately, with my wife at home and on weekday mornings with some others at Creighton University. This Lent I'm introducing it in our parish at Friday evening vespers.

If anyone else is using it, or is planning to use it, I'd like to chat about it, share notes, etc.

Richard Jizba, St. Vincent de Paul, Omaha
rjizba
rjizba

Back to top Go down

Liturgy of the Hours using the Mundelein Psalter Empty Re: Liturgy of the Hours using the Mundelein Psalter

Post by Mike DeSelm Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:18 am

What is the Mundelein Psalter ? Is it another one or 4 volume set of the Hours or something that can be downloaded from the web?
Mike DeSelm
Mike DeSelm
Admin

https://omahadeacon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Liturgy of the Hours using the Mundelein Psalter Empty Re: Liturgy of the Hours using the Mundelein Psalter

Post by rjizba Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:11 am

The Mundelein Psalter is a one volume edition containing morning, evening, and night prayer. It uses the same texts as the 4 volume set but follows the latin typical edition in its hymn selections and in its omission of the psalm prayers (they are, apparently optional).

What is special about this is that the text is "pointed" for chanting and in English, not Latin. This means that the syllables which you begin the middle and final cadences after chanting on the reciting tone are italicized so you know when to start the cadence. (This sounds way more complicated than it is) The psalter web site is at
http://www.vocations.org/liturgicalinstitute/projects/psalter/psalter%20FAQs%202007.htm
Take a look at the FAQ and listen to the sound files.
The other key feature is that the tunes are simplified and antiphons for each psalm or canticle use the same tune as the psalm/canticle. In typical Gregorian chant the antiphons are much more elaborate, which makes them more interesting and beautiful, but much more challenging for the inexperienced.
rjizba
rjizba

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike DeSelm Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:12 pm

Cool Cool! But I am musically challenged! The nuns made me lip sync in grade school. affraid
Mike DeSelm
Mike DeSelm
Admin

https://omahadeacon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rjizba Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Ah Mike ... Maybe you can be my next project. Chanting with the musically challenged. Nothing is impossible, some just take a little longer.
rjizba
rjizba

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum